Types of Scholarships (Merit, Need & Special Scholarships)
All students accepted for enrollment at City may apply for the scholarships listed below. 70% of the current CU students receive some form of scholarship or discount to help with the cost of their education. Tuition-Waiver scholarships are valid for up to 5 years of undergraduate education provided the student maintains the conditions for the continuation of the scholarship. Following are the available scholarships:
City University Entrance Examination - Merit Scholarships
The largest number of current City University students with full or partial scholarships received these scholarships as a result of their scores in the CU Entrance Examination. These scholarships are awarded every year solely on the basis of student performance in the entrance examinations. By the end of the current 2017-2018 academic year, many of our students will be graduating from City University of Mogadishu without having paid any tuition during their four+ years of studies based solely on their performance.
Employee Children Scholarships
The children of City University employees are who study at CU are entitled to the following discounts:
- English Language Certificate programs - 75% of tuition.
- Undergraduate & Graduate Degree Programs - 50% of tuition.
City University also provides a limited number of need-based scholarships with varying degrees of discount. Students who pass the CU Entrance Exam may apply.
Scholarship Benefits & Foundation Studies: All students who are granted scholarships for a degree program must still pay for the cost of their foundations program.
Combining Scholarships & Other Discounts: Students who are eligible for more than one scholarship or a scholarship and a discount must chose one of the benefits being offered but may not combine them. Tuition waivers and discounts take effect on the first semester of a degree program and do not apply to the Foundations Program.
Conditions for the Continuation of Scholarship:
Scholarships offered to students at City University will continue for the duration of their undergraduate study (up to five years) provided the following conditions are met:
- Student with a 100% reduction in tuition must provide 20 hours of community service per month.
- Students with less than 100% tuition scholarships must provide 10 hours of community service per month.
- Student must not be convicted of violating the CU code of ethics against cheating, lying or stealing during the previous school year.
- Student must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of C+ (2.3) or better in their studies.
- Students must not abandon their scholarship by leaving the university. Returning students may re-apply for scholarship.
Fees for student activities, technology & registration must be paid by all students including students with 100% tuition waiver scholarships (Click Here for the current fees). Students are also responsible for the cost of their textbooks and living expenses.